Smartphones which we are so addicted to our daily life have also gained access now in the health sector. There are lots of applications that teach us how to balance our diet and exercises. Our smartphone would tell us about precautions but unable to tell us if we have a disease or not. We can not diagnose our disease until we will go to the doctor for a test. But Now we don’t need a doctor our smartphone is sufficient for this purpose. Do you want to know How?
Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, have developed a biosensor and a mobile app, which together can be used for bacterial detection. They said Biosensor can detect Dead or living Bacteria within the limited time period.
How Does Biosensor work?
We have to Fit Biosensor in our smartphone in front of a mobile camera. But why on Camera, Well Camera will capture the images of our fingure which will send to the Mobile app which is also developed by the team of IITians. They gave the app name Colorimetric Detector. The color of the Biosensor surface gets black if there is a presence of Live bacteria. Now the Mobile app calculates the change of color to before surface color. Once the change of color crosses a set point which is set by Mobile app, The phone vibrates and gives a red signal. This all task is done by the Mobile app.
What kind of Bacteria it can detect?
This Biosensor can detect four Bacterial strains
- Escherichia coli: Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria normally live in the intestines of healthy people and animals. Most varieties of E. coli are harmless or cause relatively brief diarrhea. But a few particularly nasty strains, such as E. coli O157: H7, can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa: The bacteria are found widely in the environment, such as in soil, water, and plants. It attacks on the immune system which creates a problem of fat, muscles and joint pain, low blood pressure.
- Bacillus subtilis: This is also known as the hay bacillus or grass bacillus. It found in, found in soil and human.B. subtilis spores can survive the extreme heat during cooking. The food poisoning usually occurs from eating rice that is contaminated with Bacillus cereus.
- Staphylococcus aureus: It is a usual member of the microbiota of the body, frequently found in the upper respiratory tract and on the skin.S. aureus can cause a range of illnesses, from minor skin infections, such as pimples, impetigo, boils, etc.
What are the advantages of this Biosensor?
- The conventional method gives the result after 16 to 24 hours but this biosensor provides us result within 24 hours.
- Biosensor makes detection so easy because if we get infected then it will detect only by our touch.
- We can use it anytime and take it anywhere.
- It is very cost effective because we don’t have to pay for the test.
- No need of trained people to diagnose.
- No need of techniques like UV spectroscopy and flow cytometry which was used for this purpose.
For the verification that this application and sensor gives a perfect result or not, they used existing methods like ﬂuorescence microscopy and ‘colony forming unit’ counting. So we do not have to worry whether it tells us a correct or wrong result.
What is inside the biosensor which makes it find the bacterial cause?
Biosensor, This mainly depends on hydrogen sulfide gas which is produced by microorganisms. Hydrogen sulfide is a waste product of the bacteria that transmit biological signals in the living system. In between the biosensor, they have placed a silver nono rod sensor. This silver sensor reacts with hydrogen sulfide to form black colored silver sulfide. Only living bacteria change the color and wetting properties of silver nanorods change when exposed to microbes, while dead ones do not.
Observing the visible change in color and water wetting on the sensor array, one can easily distinguish live and dead as well as antibiotic-resistant and normal bacteria,” said Prof. J.P. Singh.Thus this technology is useful and suitable for everybody.