Since you are now aware that solar panels are manufactured using silicon, let’s observe how we could produce a photovoltaic cell using different materials. Rather than using cuprous oxide, we shall use some different materials.
The materials are listed below:
- Glass plates (microscope slide covers for instance)
- Deionized water
- Transparent tape
- Shallow dish
- Electric hot plate (1100W if possible)
- Titanium dioxide solution
- Carbon (graphite pencil or graphite lubricant)
- Iodide solution
- Binder clips
- Alligator clips
1. Carefully wipe the surface of both the glass plates with ethyl alcohol. Once cleaned make sure you do not touch the glass surface again.
2. Now use the multimeter to test the conductivity of the plates. Try to find out the most conductive parts of the plate. Now place the plates side by side with keeping the conductive surface of either of the plates facing downward while the other conductive surface facing up.
3. Now paste both the glass plates together using a transparent tape. Make sure you do the pasting on the long side of the plate. Also tape the outer side carefully.
4. Carefully apply drops of titanium dioxide using a clear tape on the surface of the glass plates and spread evenly. The solution should cover the conductive surface that is face down.