Lathe machine is used to cut the metal from cylindrical work piece, and convert it into desire shape. It turns the cylindrical work piece, and during turning a sharp edge cutting tool introduce, which cuts the metal. Its working can be described as follow.
Lathe Machine Operation –
- A cylindrical work piece fixed to the chuck. A chuck may have three jaw or for jaw according to the requirement. The work piece is at the center or some eccentric according to the process perform.
- The spindle starts to rotate and set it at desire speed. The spindle speed plays a huge role during cutting. The spindle rotates the chuck and work piece.
- Now check the work piece is turning properly. If it not set the work piece using dial gauge.
- Now set the tool at desire feed by moving the tool post and carriage. The feed also play main role during cutting. Large feed may cause unwanted temperature increase.
- After it tool is introduce between moving work piece at desire feed rate. It cut the metal from work piece. The feed rate is set at the cutting condition.
- Now all unwanted metal is removed by moving the carriage form horizontally and vertically as desire according to the job requirement. After complete all process we got a well finished job.
- Lathe can perform turning, boring, chamfering, shaping, facing, drilling knurling, grooving as shown in figure.
Today we have learnt about Lathe machine Parts, Operation and Working. If you have any query regarding this article, ask by commenting.